This individual will provide the expertise and technical support to maintain and improve the reliability of systems in the plant including the data gathering, failure analysis, troubleshooting, and development of predictive/preventative maintenance programs for equipment. The individual will assist in reviewing any equipment replacements in the future. The Reliability Engineer works closely with Maintenance and Process Supervisors to maintain performance of the equipment. This is critical to plant safety and operations reliability. This individual will be a backup to the Maintenance Supervisor for directing in field supervision of plant mechanics and contractors. Identify and manage asset reliability risks that could adversely affect plant or business operations in the manufacture of raw ingredients. Manage risk to the achievement of an organization’s strategic objectives in the areas of environmental health and safety, asset capability, quality and production. Track the production losses and abnormally high maintenance cost assets, suggest modifications to equipment, operating techniques, and support systems to reduce losses or high costs and coordinate the successful completion of assigned projects. Provide back up coverage to Supervisory Staff.
- Establishes and maintains planned and predictive maintenance programs for equipment and sets parameters for amount and type of maintenance performed within the programs.
- Develops Equipment Criticality Index for site assets
- Maintains records on equipment histories and costs, coordinates with operations and maintenance supervisors for needed changes toward increasing reliability.
- Analyzes records, troubleshoots equipment problems, and makes procedure recommendations to operations and maintenance.
- Works with the Maintenance Supervisor to help manage the maintenance and project teams during plant outages.
- Analyzes work orders for equipment. Prepares cost and schedule estimates, makes recommendations as to the methodology, equipment, and material requirements.
- Diagnoses root cause and specifies method of repair for plant equipment.
- Documents projects and technical work by setting up necessary files and preparing appropriate records and reports.
- Coordinates the creation of the spare parts list and lubrication list for the entire plant in conjunction with Vendor recommendations and industry standards.
- Maintains liaison with outside contractors, suppliers, and representatives of other companies on matters of mutual interest involving rotating equipment and general maintenance as well as compliance with standards, specifications and regulations.
- Participates in recommending and requisitioning equipment, tools, materials and spare parts.
- Leads projects as assigned by Engineering Manager for projects up to $1M.
- Works with Maintenance Supervisors to manage rotating equipment’s PM schedule
- Assist Maintenance Supervisor in prioritizing, planning, scheduling and executing repairs, replacements, projects and other maintenance activities.
- Participates in Process Hazard Analysis studies (PHA).
- Provides mechanical engineering input to HAZOP study
- Develops engineering solutions to repetitive failures and all other problems that adversely affect plant operations. These problems include capacity, quality, cost or regulatory compliance issues
- Monitors plant operating conditions using existing technology and methods. Suggests and develops new tools for this effort.
- Establishes working knowledge of business information system (JD Edwards).
Knowledge, Skills and Experience_
- 5-7 years experience in a chemical plant environment
- Hands on experience diagnosing plant equipment issues
- Experience with maintenance CMMS systems(JDE, SAP)
- Experience working with and troubleshooting all types of chemical equipment including pumps, gearboxes, heat exchangers, filters, fans, etc.
- Experienced mechanical or maintenance engineer.
- Detailed knowledge of design Codes and industry standards as applied to chemical facilities, Process Safety Management (PSM), Management of Change process (MOC), and Capital Value Process (CVP).
- Project engineering and/or experience leading projects is a plus
- PHA – Preliminary hazards analysis
- RCA – Root Cause Analysis
- FMEA – Failure modes and effects analysis
- CA – Criticality analysis
- SFMEA – Simplified failure modes and effects analysis
- MI – Mechanical Integrity
- Strong safety and environmental performance
- Strong ability to work with others.
- Strong communication and networking skills.
- An ability to manage work priorities to deliver real performance improvements in a busy and demanding work environment.
- Strong knowledge of safety and the pro_active application of new techniques to improve safety performance.
- Strong bias for action to identify potential problems and coordinate their resolution before they become an issue. Continual enthusiasm and a desire to assist the team to improve performance.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills are essential to perform this role.
Wilmington, North Carolina